Harvard Extension School Student Forum

Come discuss with other HES students in a new forum who are at Harvard Extension School. Talk about life in and around Cambridge, Boston, classes, school, Harvard University, course reviews, and more. Interested in the best ways to travel to Harvard for your residency requirement? Check out the 'On and Around Campus' category for tips and advice. Want to join a book club with other Harvard Extension School students that read through the Harvard Classics? It's a Harvard education in and of itself. ExtensionStudentForum Forum categories include 'Job Postings & Job Seekers', 'Extension Confidential', 'Professional Graduate Certificates', 'HBX', 'ALB' and 'ALM' discussions. Extension Student Forum is brought to you by The Degree Tracker.

Register with your Harvard.edu email address

This forum is exclusively for Harvard University students. The sponsor for this forum is an exciting new web app, The Degree Tracker. Track and plan your Harvard Extension School ALM and ALB degrees or professional graduate certificate. Course ratings, instructor reviews, accomplishment badges, planning, tracking, and other tools to help guide students through their HES journey. TheDegreeTracker is proud to bring you this tool to use to track your degree at Harvard Extension School. If you are a student who has more courses than you can keep track of, and you would like to plan out your degree pathway carefully, then track and plan courses with the Degree Tracker to take control of your education. Including course reviews and course ratings, TheDegreeTracker has the potential to not only guide you through your degree, but to let you help other students who might be wondering about the HES courses that you've taken. The Degree Tracker is glad to provide the Harvard Extension School Student Forum (ESF) to help foster a nurturing environment. This forum for was born in 2015 to create better Harvard Extension School friendships, networking, and information to contribute to a better overall HES experience. Extension students formerly congregated at forums such as philfac and extensionstudent. This website has no affiliation with either the philfac or extensionstudent websites. It has been created and run by 100% completely different leadership. For the extension student who wants a bigger taste of what life with other Harvard Extension students is like, combining the Degree Tracker and the extension student forum can foster that sense of community that others have on campus. Another advantage of participating in an online community over the Harvard campus is that extension students can develop permanent relationships with other extension students that being on a physical campus might not necessarily allow, since online students are great at staying in touch online.

What would you like to see in a forum?

We'd be glad to hear your feedback. It's no piece of cake to graduate with your Bachelor of Liberal Arts or Master of Liberal Arts in a timely fashion, but your Bachelor's or Master's degree plan will only benefit from making use of the Degree Tracker and this exclusive forum for Harvard's marvelous students.

Where are the digital media courses for spring??

I see 4 online courses in the spring! Also visualization, which used to be an elective, is not listed for dgm??
Am I missing something?

Comments

• GratGrat Posts: 293
    If you haven't taken it, you should take DGMD E-27, Modern and Mobile Front End Design II with me and Ed might be a TA.

Here's a list of DGMD courses I found: https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/courses/subject/digital-media/e-dgmd
  • nancymicnancymic Posts: 185
    You're taking it and Ed will be a TA?
    I want to do more programming. It looks like 171--visualization is all about d3...
    Aha - it is CSCI 171, based off of Harvard College's course CS 171: https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/courses/visualization/24028 it will probably be a tough course but you'll learn a lot! You should make sure to read the course reviews before registering.
    No tests in CSCI 171 - which I like cuz I always prefer portfolio-building projects with plenty of time to build them.
    The reviews are terrible, basically. I think they have been terrible for a while.
    I looked at some final project videos and honestly don't think I'm up to it. I really want javascript2!
    :( or dwa15 part 2
    edited December 2015
    I haven't ruled out Jen's class... Maybe I'll take it with you guys
    Haha I might not want another 20 hour a week class.
    I looked at discrete math. I don't know. IM burning out haha
    Discrete Math will also definitely burn you out. Take DGMD E-27 :) it will be fun!
    Ya OK I probably will. I suppose I can be less lazy and play with d3 myself.
    I took discrete math many many years ago. I guess it won't be much use. All along I thought I would be taking python, but it's on campus. I guess another intro to a language is not that useful.
    In DGMD E-27, we will get to learn Sass, Zurb, and CSS animation! Plus some more JQuery.
    It's looking like the best option. After this semester I'm finally burnt out!
    What course attributes do you have left to fulfill? Does DGMD27 fulfill it? Or are you just taking it for the skills?
    Hey Bryan
    Just one more elective! So almost anything from cs or dgmd
    Awesome! I think DGMD E-27 will prove to be the more practical course, and there should be some programming.
    edited December 2015
    Hi Bryan. Advice needed. If you are encrypting some user data...not their pw but like email, etc that they may want to change, do you decrypt it and send it back to them in clear text over the web? What is usually done?
    Or is it enough to have an ssl/tls connection when sending the decrypted data back?
    Are you encrypting data before storing it on your database besides the users' passwords? I did some research on that issue and from what I could tell, generally storing data for a web app doesn't usually get encrypted besides the password. I was surprised to learn that, but it should simplify your program. If you really need to encrypt it, let me know as I did find a potential way that looked promising.
    I see that it looks pretty easy in php to encrypt store and decrypt but is it sufficient to then send it back to the user over ssl?
    edited December 2015
    SSl and TLS solves some problems, and encrypting everything you put in the database probably will save you from SQL-injection attacks (plus I believe Laravel does this automatically), but you will still want to escape the data you are retrieving out of the database because it could contain tags that could mess with your program. I think in Laravel 4, you can just use the {{{ }}} triple brackets to escape any output that originated from a user to solve this problem. Laravel 5.1 does things differently, though, and I wrote some custom "middleware" to handle the issue. I thought using {{}} double brackets was supposed to take care of it in Laravel 5.1, but it seems I needed to create my own middleware. You can test your own program to see if it's guarding against it by entering some user input you know is going to get displayed on the screen later on, like <script>console.log("I could be a malicious virus!");</script>. If you open your console, if you navigate to the page where the user input is displayed and you see that statement in the console, then you haven't yet guarded against it yet.
    I had to update my post above with "code" formatting because our forum software removed the two "script" tags from my post, which illustrates the very thing I was trying to explain to Nancy! Cool.
    edited December 2015
    Hahaha thanks Bryan. My understanding was also that forms created that way in laravel 4x did scrub and validate input.
    What I'm trying to figure out is if I encrypt, store, and decrypt data when a user needs to view it, whether sending it over https provides enough security over the wire
    If you do all the above you should be good.
    Survived. I think. Thanks Bryan
    Congratulations!