Harvard Extension School Student Forum

Come discuss with other HES students in a new forum who are at Harvard Extension School. Talk about life in and around Cambridge, Boston, classes, school, Harvard University, course reviews, and more. Interested in the best ways to travel to Harvard for your residency requirement? Check out the 'On and Around Campus' category for tips and advice. Want to join a book club with other Harvard Extension School students that read through the Harvard Classics? It's a Harvard education in and of itself. ExtensionStudentForum Forum categories include 'Job Postings & Job Seekers', 'Extension Confidential', 'Professional Graduate Certificates', 'HBX', 'ALB' and 'ALM' discussions. Extension Student Forum is brought to you by The Degree Tracker.

Register with your Harvard.edu email address

This forum is exclusively for Harvard University students. The sponsor for this forum is an exciting new web app, The Degree Tracker. Track and plan your Harvard Extension School ALM and ALB degrees or professional graduate certificate. Course ratings, instructor reviews, accomplishment badges, planning, tracking, and other tools to help guide students through their HES journey. TheDegreeTracker is proud to bring you this tool to use to track your degree at Harvard Extension School. If you are a student who has more courses than you can keep track of, and you would like to plan out your degree pathway carefully, then track and plan courses with the Degree Tracker to take control of your education. Including course reviews and course ratings, TheDegreeTracker has the potential to not only guide you through your degree, but to let you help other students who might be wondering about the HES courses that you've taken. The Degree Tracker is glad to provide the Harvard Extension School Student Forum (ESF) to help foster a nurturing environment. This forum for was born in 2015 to create better Harvard Extension School friendships, networking, and information to contribute to a better overall HES experience. Extension students formerly congregated at forums such as philfac and extensionstudent. This website has no affiliation with either the philfac or extensionstudent websites. It has been created and run by 100% completely different leadership. For the extension student who wants a bigger taste of what life with other Harvard Extension students is like, combining the Degree Tracker and the extension student forum can foster that sense of community that others have on campus. Another advantage of participating in an online community over the Harvard campus is that extension students can develop permanent relationships with other extension students that being on a physical campus might not necessarily allow, since online students are great at staying in touch online.

What would you like to see in a forum?

We'd be glad to hear your feedback. It's no piece of cake to graduate with your Bachelor of Liberal Arts or Master of Liberal Arts in a timely fashion, but your Bachelor's or Master's degree plan will only benefit from making use of the Degree Tracker and this exclusive forum for Harvard's marvelous students.

What classes is everyone taking this semester?

Another new semester at HES has just begun.  What classes are you taking?  Have any initial thoughts on them so far?

Comments

• KleosKleos Posts: 57
    I'm taking The Ancient Greek Hero with Gregory Nagy. It is a pretty fascinating course and takes "close reading" to a whole new level.
  • EddEdd Posts: 59
    I'm wrapping up my ALM-IT in Digital Media, and am in the Capstone Studio class this fall.
  • GratGrat Posts: 293
    I will be taking a total of 4 Jen Kramer courses at HES when all is said and done.  No wonder they made her their first-ever HES full-time professor.
    Do her classes count toward the Harvard Instructor (HI) requirement?
  • GratGrat Posts: 293
    Surprisingly, it looks like the only Digital Media courses that can count towards the Harvard Instructor requirement are DGMD E-5 "Exploring Digital Media" and DGMD E-10 "Exploring Digital Photography" both taught by Daniel Armendariz.  It looks like he has a Masters in Science from Harvard University.  I'm not sure if Jen Kramer's courses don't count as HI because the course catalog's not updated yet or perhaps it's because she's a Harvard Extension professor and not a Harvard University professor.  

Most of the CSCI courses count as HI though, including the three versions of CS50, CSCI E-50, the new CSCI E-50A, CSCSI E-50B, and CS10A, CS10B.  I just noticed CSCI E-50A and 50B are just 2 credits each (I suppose that makes sense though).

You will have to use TheDegreeTracker to find out if you can fulfill some of your non-HI courses with Jen's classes!  They are a lot of fun and the potential for learning is basically as much time as you can put into it.  
  • Taking Marine Biology, Water Resources Management, The Meaning of Life, and Improv.
    I have been wanting to take Meaning of Life. I would love to hear your thoughts on the course. 
  • From the Extension course list: CS165 Big Data Systems. It's a wonderful cutting edge course on modern data system kernels (think newSQL if you want a buzzword). For those who're interested: you need to have taken CS61 and I'd say that CSCIE-66 is somewhat useful because it's easier to learn new approaches when you know how things have been done in the past.

Also, it has been announced a couple of days ago, that Prof. Idreos will offer graduate level reading and research course CS265 through the Extension School in spring.

• DmilesDmiles Posts: 41
    NUTR E-105 Food and Nutrition in Health and Wellbeing and BIOS E-18 Evolution. 

For the Nutrition class, I have several of the same instructors/TF's I had with the Physical Activity class I took last Spring, however, the lead instructor is not a HI. Last Spring, for the Physical Activity class, she was considered the "second in command". It was actually Dr. Edward Phillips that was the lead and so it was an HI class, but from what I hear, this Spring she, (Rachele Pojednic), is going to be the lead on the Physical Activity class and as such it will not be HI. That being said, even though she's not a HI, she's a fun instructor and makes the information interesting and the format of the class is easy on the brain.
  • arwenarwen Posts: 2
    Dmiles said:

NUTR E-105 Food and Nutrition in Health and Wellbeing and BIOS E-18 Evolution. 

For the Nutrition class, I have several of the same instructors/TF's I had with the Physical Activity class I took last Spring, however, the lead instructor is not a HI. Last Spring, for the Physical Activity class, she was considered the "second in command". It was actually Dr. Edward Phillips that was the lead and so it was an HI class, but from what I hear, this Spring she, (Rachele Pojednic), is going to be the lead on the Physical Activity class and as such it will not be HI. That being said, even though she's not a HI, she's a fun instructor and makes the information interesting and the format of the class is easy on the brain.
    Would you recommend Dr. Pojednic as an instructor? I would like to take her class this Spring, but I noticed her review on Rate My Professor isn't great. Did you prefer Food Nutrition or PA? I would love to hear your feedback. PA seems like a fun class, but I don't want to ruin my GPA.
  • DmilesDmiles Posts: 41
    edited December 2015
    Absolutely! 100%. The Physical Activity class and now after taking this Nutrition class...easy A's. Both classes are informative and easy material and both were taught with the same format. Weekly discussion posts, weekly open book quizzes, a behavior change project that is easy, open book multiple choice final.
  • arwenarwen Posts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Thanks, Dmiles! I registered today!