Harvard Extension School Student Forum

Come discuss with other HES students in a new forum who are at Harvard Extension School. Talk about life in and around Cambridge, Boston, classes, school, Harvard University, course reviews, and more. Interested in the best ways to travel to Harvard for your residency requirement? Check out the 'On and Around Campus' category for tips and advice. Want to join a book club with other Harvard Extension School students that read through the Harvard Classics? It's a Harvard education in and of itself. ExtensionStudentForum Forum categories include 'Job Postings & Job Seekers', 'Extension Confidential', 'Professional Graduate Certificates', 'HBX', 'ALB' and 'ALM' discussions. Extension Student Forum is brought to you by The Degree Tracker.

Register with your Harvard.edu email address

This forum is exclusively for Harvard University students. The sponsor for this forum is an exciting new web app, The Degree Tracker. Track and plan your Harvard Extension School ALM and ALB degrees or professional graduate certificate. Course ratings, instructor reviews, accomplishment badges, planning, tracking, and other tools to help guide students through their HES journey. TheDegreeTracker is proud to bring you this tool to use to track your degree at Harvard Extension School. If you are a student who has more courses than you can keep track of, and you would like to plan out your degree pathway carefully, then track and plan courses with the Degree Tracker to take control of your education. Including course reviews and course ratings, TheDegreeTracker has the potential to not only guide you through your degree, but to let you help other students who might be wondering about the HES courses that you've taken. The Degree Tracker is glad to provide the Harvard Extension School Student Forum (ESF) to help foster a nurturing environment. This forum for was born in 2015 to create better Harvard Extension School friendships, networking, and information to contribute to a better overall HES experience. Extension students formerly congregated at forums such as philfac and extensionstudent. This website has no affiliation with either the philfac or extensionstudent websites. It has been created and run by 100% completely different leadership. For the extension student who wants a bigger taste of what life with other Harvard Extension students is like, combining the Degree Tracker and the extension student forum can foster that sense of community that others have on campus. Another advantage of participating in an online community over the Harvard campus is that extension students can develop permanent relationships with other extension students that being on a physical campus might not necessarily allow, since online students are great at staying in touch online.

What would you like to see in a forum?

We'd be glad to hear your feedback. It's no piece of cake to graduate with your Bachelor of Liberal Arts or Master of Liberal Arts in a timely fashion, but your Bachelor's or Master's degree plan will only benefit from making use of the Degree Tracker and this exclusive forum for Harvard's marvelous students.

Expository Writing (Expo E25) Academic Writing and Critical Reading

I wanted to post a thread geared toward pre-admits in the Bachelor of Liberal Arts (ALB) Program. I'm curious which professor everyone decided to go with for their "gateway" course into the degree program?

I took Expo E25 with Lindsay Silver Cohen. It was a great course. She covered the Industrial Era. The class would read books such as, "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair and John Riis’ "How the Other Half Lives". What I liked most about this course, and this professor in particular, was the amount of feedback she gave for each paper and draft that was turned in. She really put forth a great deal of effort to ensure that her students had the proper tools to be an effective writer and critical reader. She is pretty no-nonsense though. Don't expect to coast in any EXPO E-25 course. 

Let us know who you are planning to or took EXPO E-25 with.

Comments

• GratGrat Posts: 293
    Does each EXPO E-25 course have its own subject matter content?  Does the instructor spend most of their time lecturing on the subject matter, or how to write?  I noticed they may have changed the name of the course recently to "Academic Writing and Critical Reading" while EXPO E-15 is just "Fundamentals of Academic Writing."  Thus, I am guessing there is a lot of reading involved in EXPO E-25, while EXPO E-15 is just writing?

I remember taking a writing-intensive course as an undergrad that covered "The History of Europe in the 19th Century".  I think it was about half reading and half writing, and I think the lecturer primarily lectured about the subject matter.  I had another required English course where the topic was Affirmative Action.  That was also about half reading and half writing.  I wish I had the choice of choosing what topic we studied, though I enjoyed learning about some of the history of Europe.  I remember the word "textiles" coming up a surprisingly large number of times for some reason in that course.

It seems like Harvard Extension School offers a ton of choices about what subject matter to learn about.  That's pretty cool to have so many options.  
  • KleosKleos Posts: 57
    Yes, each Expos section has a different theme as far as the topic goes. They all seem to follow the same model: read a lot, write a lot, then read and write some more. The main difference being what you are reading. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and learned a great deal from it as well as Expo E15.

A quick tip for those that are new to HES. The way Expos is pronounced on and around campus is expahs.
  • I also had Lindsay Silver Cohen for EXPO-25 and agree with the comments above.  She was great.
  • CatsCats Posts: 16
    edited September 2015
    I would also recommend Lindsay S. Cohen without the slightest hesitation—provided you can invest a significant amount of time in essays. Definitely a rewarding class, along with Prof. Robichaud's GOVT E-1050.
  • For EXPO E-15...Elisabeth Sharp McKetta, she's awesome and laid back. For E-25...Lindsay Silver Cohen hands down. Excellent instruction and I loved the subject matter.
    I had McKetta for Expo E-15 as well. I agree, she is really great and the course was a lot of fun. I'm curious did you cover any Benjamin Percy when you took her course? 
  • Yes, "Refresh Refresh" was the Percy we covered. Interesting short story.
  • For E-25, I really enjoyed the Jacob Riis book "How the Other Half Lives". Awesome photography from early 1900's NYC.
  • Adored Geraldine Grimm's version of the class. She was crisp, organized, and engaging,, Excellent feedback on assignments. We read Kafka, Hesse, and Mann. Great foundation course for all the other writing I've done so far at HES.
    Refresh Refresh was really interesting. I ended up reading some more of Percy's work. Enjoyable, but can be intense. Also - Riis' "How the Other Half Lives" I couldn't agree more. Eye opening photography and information. 
  • tokomontokomon Posts: 30
    I had Professor Mask for EXPO 25 and she was very, very difficult. She was really dedicated and explained things really well.
  • Can someone put a list together of all the readings needed for EXPO-15 and EXPO-25? I am taking EXPO-15 with Prof. Sharp.
  • Different instructor, different readings
  • CatsCats Posts: 16
    While time-consuming, Sharp's class remains easy. I am unsure whether we can post the readings publicly but sometimes you can view the syllabus on the official website.
  • Cats said:

While time-consuming, Sharp's class remains easy. I am unsure whether we can post the readings publicly but sometimes you can view the syllabus on the official website.

Thanks for the info. I consulted with her and was told to access the Cavas to get the readings. But, I couldn't get into the canvas. So, I am guessing that if you could provide me with a list, that would be great!

• DmilesDmiles Posts: 41
    Are you talking about Dr. Elisabeth Sharp Mcketta? And are you asking for J term? I took her J term E-15 and she is soooooo laid back. Don't worry about doing the readings ahead of time, you will have plenty of time to do the readings that she assigns. They are short stories and are easily digested. I took her class in Jan 2014 and we still keep in touch. Very nice instructor, easy to get feedback and any assistance.
  • ajordanajordan Posts: 3
    Can someone shine some light on Professor Fobi? I will take EXPO S-25 in the summer time, and hope he is laid back and easy grade...help!
  • TXTONYTXTONY Posts: 3
    EXPO E-34 with Steven Wandler. Any feedback is much appreciated. Registered for Fall 2018. Thanks
  • Mr. Wandler is a nice person but tough grader.
  • jonnadyjonnady Posts: 1
    TXTONY said:

EXPO E-34 with Steven Wandler. Any feedback is much appreciated. Registered for Fall 2018. Thanks

How did you do? Mind sharing your experience?
  • HugoMontenegroHugoMontenegro Posts: 4
    edited August 2019
    EXPO E-25 with Tamara Griggs, can only recommend her. Amazing feedback, great teacher, and a subject matter that was strangely compelling.