Harvard Extension School Student Forum

Come discuss with other HES students in a new forum who are at Harvard Extension School. Talk about life in and around Cambridge, Boston, classes, school, Harvard University, course reviews, and more. Interested in the best ways to travel to Harvard for your residency requirement? Check out the 'On and Around Campus' category for tips and advice. Want to join a book club with other Harvard Extension School students that read through the Harvard Classics? It's a Harvard education in and of itself. ExtensionStudentForum Forum categories include 'Job Postings & Job Seekers', 'Extension Confidential', 'Professional Graduate Certificates', 'HBX', 'ALB' and 'ALM' discussions. Extension Student Forum is brought to you by The Degree Tracker.

Register with your Harvard.edu email address

This forum is exclusively for Harvard University students. The sponsor for this forum is an exciting new web app, The Degree Tracker. Track and plan your Harvard Extension School ALM and ALB degrees or professional graduate certificate. Course ratings, instructor reviews, accomplishment badges, planning, tracking, and other tools to help guide students through their HES journey. TheDegreeTracker is proud to bring you this tool to use to track your degree at Harvard Extension School. If you are a student who has more courses than you can keep track of, and you would like to plan out your degree pathway carefully, then track and plan courses with the Degree Tracker to take control of your education. Including course reviews and course ratings, TheDegreeTracker has the potential to not only guide you through your degree, but to let you help other students who might be wondering about the HES courses that you've taken. The Degree Tracker is glad to provide the Harvard Extension School Student Forum (ESF) to help foster a nurturing environment. This forum for was born in 2015 to create better Harvard Extension School friendships, networking, and information to contribute to a better overall HES experience. Extension students formerly congregated at forums such as philfac and extensionstudent. This website has no affiliation with either the philfac or extensionstudent websites. It has been created and run by 100% completely different leadership. For the extension student who wants a bigger taste of what life with other Harvard Extension students is like, combining the Degree Tracker and the extension student forum can foster that sense of community that others have on campus. Another advantage of participating in an online community over the Harvard campus is that extension students can develop permanent relationships with other extension students that being on a physical campus might not necessarily allow, since online students are great at staying in touch online.

What would you like to see in a forum?

We'd be glad to hear your feedback. It's no piece of cake to graduate with your Bachelor of Liberal Arts or Master of Liberal Arts in a timely fashion, but your Bachelor's or Master's degree plan will only benefit from making use of the Degree Tracker and this exclusive forum for Harvard's marvelous students.

Welcome!

We're excited to have a home for Harvard Extension School students, near and far, to come together. Feel free to introduce yourself, and let us know what you are studying at HES and anything else you'd like to share. We hope to make this the best online community for HES'ers. We look forward to the discussions ahead!

Comments

• KleosKleos Posts: 57
    edited September 2015
    Indeed it is so great to have a forum back. I look forward to seeing ESF grow over time. Hopefully those from ES and Philfac will find their way to the new forum. Again, welcome to all!
    For those that have signed up, please take a moment to introduce yourself here.
  • Glad a forum for Extensionites is back up!
    Hey Survivedyesterday! Welcome back, it's good to see familiar faces starting to pop back in. I think we'll see a lot more over the next week or so. Also, as you can see we had to start from scratch, so feel free to go post crazy! :-)
  • EddEdd Posts: 59
    Congrats and best of luck with the new forum! 

I was "allegra998" on the old forum, but decided to go with my first name this time.  I'm looking forward to continuing our discussions here.
  • Great to be back! :-)
  • Hi grats,

Thank you very much for opening a new forum!  I was known as nikerunner in the old forum.  
    :-h
  • So glad to have this forum back for us HES students!  A huge "thank you" to those who worked so hard to get this forum established.  =D>

I first enrolled in HES last Fall, taking CS50 as my first class.  It was a whirlwind, but an absolutely amazing experience.  I had the pleasure of going to Boston for the CS50 Fair in December.  Another phenomenal experience -- I was able to chat and work alongside Dr. Malan during my time there -- he truly is a gracious individual and has a sincere interest in helping Extension students succeed.

This past Spring I took EXPO E-15 with Allyson Boggess.  Another excellent class.  If you're looking for an E-15 prof, I highly recommend her.

I'm taking this semester off to focus on completing some transfer credits before I enroll next Spring in EXPO E-25, my final admissions course before applying for degree candidacy for the ALB program.  My goal: a Sciences concentration with a Computer Science Field of Study and (hopefully) minors in Mathematics and Quantitative Analysis.  I'd like to move from solely being a developer to moving into the realm of Data Science.

A huge welcome to all!
  • lnjacksonlnjackson Posts: 17
    edited September 2015
    so glad the forum is back up. I had a little set back but I hope to become a degree candidate by next fall. 
    Great to see everyone slowly coming back in. As well as some new members. Welcome to everyone!

Injackson - I'm happy to hear you are sticking with it. You'll make it next fall!
  • It's good to be back!  I was sorry to see the old site go and have been hoping a new one would come together.  I finished my Strategic Management certificate in August but look forward to remaining a part of the community.
  • Wondered where the old site went, and I'm glad to see a new one back in acrion.

I'm a bachelors degree candidate, and when I finish this term I will be halfway there, I'm taking about four courses a term, mostly on campus. I'm always looking for folks who can meet during the day or before class to study, have coffee, share war stories.

When I get aeound to declaring a field and minor(s) I plan on Visual Arts, minoring in biology (particularly related to aquatic ecosystems) and government. I'm hoping to finish able to research, communicate, and advocate for water-related issues. Ultimately, I would like to earn a masters or PhD in landscape architecture or design studies -- so that I can not only advocate for, but also design solutions. I'm particularly interested in the boundaries at the edges of the built and natrual environments.

I will be leading a group of middle school students this year in a new Girls Who Code club. Anyone looking for a volunteer opportunity in the STEM area should check itnto this organization. If you live in the west of Boston area, I'm looking for a buddy to help team teach. We have thirty motivated girls, and not enough "me" to go around.

• hi everyone! i'm really excited to see ESF up since PhilFac made such an impact in my decision to join the HES.

i'm also ALB candidate and was just admitted this semester. like bejackson, i'm concentrating in science and looking into the computer science field with minors in quantitative analysis and math. at this point, however, i'm not too sure so i'm just enjoying the ride as a first-year.

i think my main priority would to get involved in career fairs and the academic opportunities like special student status and faculty aide options, among others.

looking forward to riding this wave with you all!
  • fx2016fx2016 Posts: 7
    I joined HES in 2014 for ALM IT Software Engineering degree and I'm graduating next week - May 26th. Unfortunately, my time at HES has been very short and I haven't had a lot of time to interact or do much outside academics. I don't know if I'll meet any of you in person, but I'll still be at Harvard pursuing my PhD and MBA.
  • GratGrat Posts: 293
    Congratulations! You're doing both a PhD and MBA at Harvard?
    edited May 2016
    Yes. Ph.D starts this fall at SEAS and MBA starts a year before end of Ph.D.
    Wow. Who is the MBA through? Very impressive!
    I am doing all my studies at Harvard. The MBA is at Harvard Business School.
    Nice!