Harvard Extension School Student Forum

Come discuss with other HES students in a new forum who are at Harvard Extension School. Talk about life in and around Cambridge, Boston, classes, school, Harvard University, course reviews, and more. Interested in the best ways to travel to Harvard for your residency requirement? Check out the 'On and Around Campus' category for tips and advice. Want to join a book club with other Harvard Extension School students that read through the Harvard Classics? It's a Harvard education in and of itself. ExtensionStudentForum Forum categories include 'Job Postings & Job Seekers', 'Extension Confidential', 'Professional Graduate Certificates', 'HBX', 'ALB' and 'ALM' discussions. Extension Student Forum is brought to you by The Degree Tracker.

Register with your Harvard.edu email address

This forum is exclusively for Harvard University students. The sponsor for this forum is an exciting new web app, The Degree Tracker. Track and plan your Harvard Extension School ALM and ALB degrees or professional graduate certificate. Course ratings, instructor reviews, accomplishment badges, planning, tracking, and other tools to help guide students through their HES journey. TheDegreeTracker is proud to bring you this tool to use to track your degree at Harvard Extension School. If you are a student who has more courses than you can keep track of, and you would like to plan out your degree pathway carefully, then track and plan courses with the Degree Tracker to take control of your education. Including course reviews and course ratings, TheDegreeTracker has the potential to not only guide you through your degree, but to let you help other students who might be wondering about the HES courses that you've taken. The Degree Tracker is glad to provide the Harvard Extension School Student Forum (ESF) to help foster a nurturing environment. This forum for was born in 2015 to create better Harvard Extension School friendships, networking, and information to contribute to a better overall HES experience. Extension students formerly congregated at forums such as philfac and extensionstudent. This website has no affiliation with either the philfac or extensionstudent websites. It has been created and run by 100% completely different leadership. For the extension student who wants a bigger taste of what life with other Harvard Extension students is like, combining the Degree Tracker and the extension student forum can foster that sense of community that others have on campus. Another advantage of participating in an online community over the Harvard campus is that extension students can develop permanent relationships with other extension students that being on a physical campus might not necessarily allow, since online students are great at staying in touch online.

What would you like to see in a forum?

We'd be glad to hear your feedback. It's no piece of cake to graduate with your Bachelor of Liberal Arts or Master of Liberal Arts in a timely fashion, but your Bachelor's or Master's degree plan will only benefit from making use of the Degree Tracker and this exclusive forum for Harvard's marvelous students.

A question concerning classes to take for the Computer Science Concentration

Hello! I am concentrating in Computer Science, but I was hoping if someone could point me in the direction as to what classes I should be taking. I prefer working with website design, digital media, and CMS much more than straight programming, software design, and discreet math.
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• GratGrat Posts: 293
    Make sure to check out options available in both CSCI and DGMD programs as there's a good mix between the two regarding web-focused courses. Here's a partial list:

CSCI E-3 Intro to JavaScript
    CSCI E- 12 Fundamentals of Website Development
    CSCI E- 15 Dynamic Web Applications
    CSCI E- 15C Developing for Drupal 8
    CSCI E-50 Intensive Introduction to Computer Science (also available as part 1 - 50A and part 2 - 50B which cuts down on the intensity)
    -Often described as a parallel track to CSCI 50 is CSCI 10A and 10B, which focuses on Java.
    -then there are parallel summer school courses. CSCI S-1 is the summer school equivalent to 10A, and CSCI S-111 is the summer school equivalent to 10A, part of 10B, and CSCI E-22 (data structures with Java).

It would probably be a good idea to take at least either 50 or 10A/10B to gain a good grounding in programming, but not both. In fact, I don't believe you're permitted to take both for credit: "Students may count only one of CSCI S-1, CSCI E-10a, or CSCI E-50a for degree credit.". - copied from https://www.summer.harvard.edu/courses/great-ideas-computer-science-java/33196

You may well have already taken CSCI 50 or 10A, but if you haven't, here's my understanding of the difference. I took 10A, 10B, and 22. I feel like the focus on only Java gave me perhaps a slight edge on programming in 1 language in depth than if I took 50. I also loved Dr. Leitner, who teaches 10A and 10B. The end of 10B and most of CSCI 22 were very tough, however.

By contrast, CSCI 50 touches on a broader number of languages, such as C, MySQL, CSS, HTML, PHP, and no Java. Those languages are more relevant for web programming; however, like I said I think focusing in depth on Java will prepare one a little better for web programming in the sense of how using an API, classes, interfaces, inheritance and objects work. If you tack on CSCI 22 which uses Java, then you'll have data structures knowledge which can be important, and also more in-depth OOP knowledge and practice.

Since I didn't take CSCI 50, I'll have to defer to others in most regards, but I do know it's a very good class and also taught by a great instructor who is a lot of fun. It might be worth pointing out there's a lot of Java courses that build pretty well on top of each other at HES, while it seems to me that after CSCI 50, the way forward is a little more jagged.

For instance, it's quite a leap from CSCI 50 to CSCI 51 and/or CSCI 61, and those courses move away from web programming and really delve into C, but that's just what I've gathered.

It would probably be more practical for web programming to take CSCI E-19 on testing or one of CSCI E-90/90/91 on AWS, or CSCI after you're done with CSCI 10 or 50, or CSCI e-64 and 65.

You'll have to pay attention to actual degree requirements, as well.

DGMD
    There are some great web development courses in DGMD such as:
    DGMD 20, 25, 27, and 12. 23 looks good, but I know less about it. I'd go into more detail, but I think I've made this post long enough. Hope that helps!
  • NicoleSNicoleS Posts: 2
    Thank you very much!
  • EddEdd Posts: 59
    CS50 touches on JavaScript and APIs as well - definitely gives a foundation in web programming (most final projects are web development projects). Also provides more exposure to software engineering connections at Facebook, Google, Quora, et. al.

re: DGMD...let's not forget the new DGMD E12 class happening this spring :smile: . It's an introductory programming class (in JavaScript) geared toward those more interested in exploring visual design and web media than software engineering.
    edited August 2016
    I mentioned DGMD E-12 :smiley: it's sure to be an awesome course!
    edited August 2016
    After thinking more about it, I'd recommend CSCI 50 over CSCI 10A/B for you. The reason being is that CSCI 10B covers machine/assembly level programming, something that even people wanting to go deeply into programming dislike. The material from CSCI 10A gets covered in CSCI 50. Since Edd mentioned CSCI 50 also covers APIs, you might as well take csci 50 or 50A/B and get those skills from the web-based languages.

You might want to take CSCI 12 before CSCI 50. That way you'll get a bit of an easier introduction to a chunk of CSCI 50. After you take CSCI 12 or CSCI 50, my highest recommendation is to then take CSCI 15 - "dynamic web applications", which teaches the PHP framework called Laravel, which has become my favorite way to build web applications.

Good luck!
  • tokomontokomon Posts: 30
    @Grat you mentioned taking "either 50 or 10A/10B to gain a good grounding in programming". Should I take that before any of the courses you mentioned above (CSCI E-3, E-12, CSCI E-15, CSCI E-15C)? I'm currently signed up for E-3 and E-12 but haven't taken 50/10A/10B yet.
  • nancymicnancymic Posts: 185
    edited August 2016
    I actually think that e-3... you mean javascript right? I think that will make cs50 easier if you have no programming experience, and e-12 (foundations of web dev?) will make e-3 easier
    So assuming no experience i would take e12 then e3 then cs50
    CSCI 12 is fine to take as a very first course. It will give you some JavaScript intro as well.

You'll be fine taking CSCI 3 first, but 10A would give you a slower paced intro to OOP. I can't really say if 50A or 50 would be better before CSCI 3. I'll have to defer to @nancymic and @edd on that one :smile:
  • EddEdd Posts: 59
    edited August 2016
    I agree with @nancymic 's recommendation. E12, E3, then CS50 (in that order). CS50 will prepare you for the CS concentration as taught at HC. I imagine that many of the HC CS classes are the same at HES, and if I were an undergrad CS concentrator at HES, I'd try to take as many of the HC classes that I could get.

I see CSCI-E3 as a great 'real world' JavaScript introduction, more practical than theoretical. It's a useful primer for everyday frontend dev skills. If you have no prior experience with web markup (HTML/CSS) then you should take E12 BEFORE E3 - not simultaneously. Otherwise, you might get overwhelmed by basic HTML and CSS layout stuff while simultaneously attempting to learn JavaScript. If you're already somewhat comfortable with HTML/CSS, then E12 will largely be a refresher, and you should be ok to take them concurrently.
    Good point that if you don't know HTML and CSS you should not take CSCI 3 first.